Monday, April 11, 2011

Election Fever

I have been a big slack-faced slacker this last week or so.  I don't know what happened there, whether it was a post-OFW slump or the fact that I've been totally overwhelmed by projects or if it's just good old-fashioned laziness, but every time I think about creating a new post, I feel wayyy too uninspired to do so.

WELL, enough is enough.  I'm leaving Thursday for Toronto to volunteer on the federal election campaign.  Actually, not to bore you with the details, but my boss is not seeking re-election, so my co-worker and I are actually helping with the new candidate's campaign in our (old) boss' riding in Scarborough.  This will be my first election experience, so I'm pretty excited to go down and get involved.  Futhermore, I am jobless as of May 3rd *not totally accurate because I still work part-time at a restaurant*, which is pretty strange/crazy/exciting/nerve wracking.  Anyway, I have a LOT of decisions to make in the next while and I have these middle-of-the-night urges to book a one-way ticket  to some overseas destination and just completely vanish for a while.  This is what change does to me:

1-External factors pop up, causing or representing imminent change
2-I react with a mature outlook, framing the scenario with a holistic and responsible frame of mind
3-Thoughts begin to creep in, slowly blasting away initial healthy response
4-Irrational and impulsive ideas begin to look like viable options
5-Emotional responses ensue, often without warning and usually triggered by relatively innocuous stimuli
6-I make a decision, usually a compromise between dullishly responsible and fully ludicrous
7-Life returns to "normal"...for the moment

I just got through a doozy of a #5, which I believe contributed to my aforementioned lack of motivation to do anything useful.  I haven't, however, completed #6 yet, sorry.  I have to decide whether I want to continue working on Parliament Hill or to find something else entirely.  I don't know about you, but sometimes it really bothers me that some jobs require "university degrees" and "experience".  I already GOT a g.d. university degree....why can't that just translate to "good at everything", seeing as clearly I am.  My mom says I'm an Amazing Amber, so file that under "relevant experience" why don't you?  Yeah!

Anyway, I'm getting super off-topic.  This blog is supposed to be about fashion.  I have, in the spirit of the election trail, compiled some inspirational photos of ideal campaign ensembles that I wish I could pack in my LV luggage and hit the trail.  Instead I'll likely ram a bunch of stuff into an American Apparel duffel and call it a day.  Some dream looks:


Canvassing
The flawless Jackie O shows us how it's done WITH A SENSIBLE SHOE no less

Rallying

 
More canvassing
Nothing like a classic beige trench to pull any outfit together.
This girl kind of looks like she's rocking the "flasher look", so please note I will not be trying THAT hard to secure votes.


Jogging between rally and dinner, I presume


Again, more canvassing



Victory Party
Red Bettie Page shift dress.  I actually own this beauty-bought it at Hush in Westboro


If I get opportunities to take pics of what I end up wearing, I will do so and post when I return.  I've been eyeing a pair of Paige super dark wash high rise trouser jeans that are WAY outside my budget (considering I will be jobless v. soon), but they are perfect for both casual engagements AND with a blazer can be totally business.  Literally being "business casual" without triggering a gag reflex is, like a Visa commercial, priceless.

xo Amber

2 comments:

  1. I love this! I grew up in Scarborough and now am in Ottawa : )

    love the looks you have pulled together. You are so right its all about the trench :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel like your 7 phases for change may as well be the seven days of the week for me.. I'd bet you'd agree. In any case, I think change is good .. it calls for re-evaluation. xx

    ReplyDelete