Thursday, January 20, 2011

Huge hair and high waists

Sometimes I feel like I was meant to be alive during a previous era.  I prefer to dress up rather than dress down, I am attracted to "big" hair and hourglass silhouettes, I like real fur over faux, I am admittedly technologically dysfunctional (it's truly a miracle that this blog even came to be), and I feel like vintage clothing actually fits me better...like literally my body likes it more. 

I remember as a young girl in elementary school, I couldn't figure out why clothing never seemed to look right on my body.  I'm a natural pear shape with a long torso, and at that time the "rage" was those ridiculous "mini tees" (who really knows if they were "in", but when the only stores available are Suzy Shier and Le Chateau...) and they looked absolutely TERRIBLE on my body.  Low-rise jeans only made it worse.  How do you explain to your teachers that you don't want to be showing an inch of skin at the age of 12, so if you could please tell Le Shiteau for me that they are ruining my life, that would be great.  The day that longer shirts magically appeared in stores, I rejoiced...but with the blessed arrival of high waisted pants and skirts, it was like the fashion gods had finally answered my prayers.  I would like to see a graph showing the timeline of when my joie de vie markedly improved upon the introduction of high waists to my body.  I would have made the graph myself, but I believe I already mentioned my tech deficiency. 

I also like to get ideas for hair, makeup and ensembles by looking at some of the past screen sirens and fashion icons.  I used classic photos of Brigitte Bardot signature headband/sex hair look for my shows this summer.  I also asked the makeup artist for a big cat eye with smudged, smoky lids and full, nude lips.  The effect was stunning with all the girls in their undone bouffants, glam eyes and glowing skin.   Couldn't have been happier with the end result.



A young Bardot

Because of my body type, I find the best cuts are those from the 40s/50s and from the 70s/early 80s.  I also tend to design swimwear similar to those that were popular during those times.  I remember seeing this photo of Carly Simon wearing this amazing swimsuit and was instantly inspired: 

Carly Simon...she was such a hottie in her time.  Still is, really.

I like to look at old photos of Studio 54 too, and wish I had been in my 20s during those years.  There were just so many gorgeous women in fantastic clothing.

Diane von Fürstenberg.  I want those shoes.

The seductive Jerry Hall.

Look at those stems on DVF, what a rocket!  I want to know that woman...like be her friend.  She seems to be so grounded considering her wealth and previous royal status.  Love her.

In the end, I suppose there are positives to living in the present rather than in the past: advancements in womens' rights, internet, recycling, blackberry messenger, etc.  Plus, when I find a vintage gem it's all the more special and satisfying when I bring it home to live in my cramped closet with its new extended (and kind of pushy) adoptive family.

xo Amber

1 comment:

  1. effffff, bardot was SO PRETTY. great post - it's cool to read about the eras that your inspiration comes from. i'm more of a '20s/60's/post-apocalypse girl myself!

    ReplyDelete