Thursday, January 13, 2011

Thanks, Captain Obvious


It's cold and I'm cranky so it's about time for a good, old-fashioned rant.

Today I received an e-newsletter from LOU LOU magazine.  Think I must have applied for a contest back in the day or something...either way, I rarely read them but this one had "Ballet Chic" as the subject line.  I groaned internally, because I knew what was coming.  Sure enough, it's all about Black Swan and the fashions that have sprung from the new ballet thriller.  Which I saw on Sunday and loved, by the way...if you haven't seen it, seriously get to the movie theatre right MEOW.  Natalie Portman needs to win an Oscar for that one.  As a further disclaimer, it's hard not to love the delicate and stunning costumes worn in the film, designed by the genius duo from Rodarte-who, while we're here, should also win an Oscar.  Just beautiful.  However, while doing a mini search for this post, it seems like everyone wants to point out the obvious ballerina style trend the movie has provoked.  One word:  YEP.

Beautiful ballerinas wearing costumes by Rodarte


Seriously, though...is this trend actually "new"?  Because I really don't think so.  Baby pinks and blush hues had already sprung up well before this past summer when the movie was announced.  Hell, half of Hollywood wouldn't have had anything to wear this past year if the skin tone/red lip trend hadn't been readily available.  I get it though, I do...I mean, sometimes you just don't have anything to write about so you just go with the easy topic.  It's January, you're tired, you are sick of writing about winter stuff, you're sick of winter-period.  I get it, truly.  I also admit I had an automatic reaction when watching the movie of wanting to slick my hair back into a rigid bun, run home and dig out all my baby pinks, blushes, sheer stockings and skin tones.  Because...wait for it...I have a metric ton of those already.  Because I've ALREADY fallen in love with clothing that make me feel like a dainty dancer...along with I'm sure is many, many other girls all over this world.  Which goes to prove how redundant this "ballet chic" trend is.  So thank you LOU LOU, New York Times and countless style bloggers...thank you for helping me with my new year's resolution #4-use the clothing I already have...because I now feel confident I can do so.  Also:  Please tell me AGAIN how great leopard print it because I'm getting anxious without your support and reassurance.

Thanks so mucccchhhhhh,

xo Amber

PS. I'm going as the Black Swan (Odile) for Halloween 2011 this year.  NO COPYING!!!  Called it, stamped it, no erasies.  Going to get red contact lenses, do the makeup, everything...should be creeptacular!

Going to stand just like this in my costume, too.

3 comments:

  1. Going to see Black Swan tonight.. soo excited!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ha! agreed. i get so tired of going through countless and countless blogs/fashion sites ALL REPOSTING THE SAME SHIT. Seriously, like the H&M Lanvin thing? EVERYONE POSTED IT! I'm not saying it shouldn't be posted, but come on! And the leopard thing and trends in general... I guess I prefer blogs with original content, not shite i found on the interweb that a million other sites have also posted. ugh. sorry for the rant. ya know?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dancer in Leopard
    http://www.redbubble.com/images/clear.gif

    ReplyDelete