Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Ottawa Fashion Week F/W 2011: Fave looks

Alright, so I have some pics now to show my fave looks from this season's Ottawa Fashion Week.  As hard as it was to get excited about Fall and Winter fashions, since we are all currently looking forward to Spring and Summer apparel, I think I have a pretty sizable look book of my favourite designs.  All photos, unless otherwise captioned, are by Greg Kolz.

 ElizBourk
An up-and comer from Montreal, Elise Bourque had not even participated in a "real fashion show" until this weekend.  With just a blog and a dream, Miss Bourque proves that talent and creativity can drive a fashion line more than anything else can.  Judging on the feedback I heard from her show, she is going to have a hard time filling orders in the coming year!  I don't even know her and I'm beaming with pride :)


Loved the use of fur (obvi), the cozy yet stylish feel to every piece, and the perfectly styled looks the models wore on the runway.



Comfy and sexy?  Sign me up.


Fur, feathers and 'coon tails...triple threat!


Not to mention she used such naturally gorgeous models.  They were all fresh-faced, youthful and looked comfortable in their ensembles.  Well done!


The Escape Movement 
This was my favourite look from The Escape Movement.  HOWEVER, that being said, I think overall I was distracted by the accessories.  In fact, I may have been misled into thinking the line was interesting because the hats and the scarves and the models' hair and/or faces were great.  Scrolling through the pics from this line, realistically as much as it is wearable, I needed something fresh and new to get excited.  I am not good at "basics shopping"...buying plain tank tops and tshirts makes me yawn, even if I absolutely need them.  The tees with "ESCAPE" written on them kind of remind me of Dorry from Nemo, heehee!

Photo:  Ottawa Sun

Khala Morgan
Hi, I'm Amber and I like Vintage.  Ipso Facto, I enjoyed the Mad Men retro feel of Khala Morgan's line.  Further explanation seems unecessary.  Take note of the capelet (cute!) and the houndstooth print skirt below.  The models were perfect for the look too, and the hair and makeup were exactly what the line needed to complete the look.




Adib Simon
Designer Luciano Adib was born in Cordoba, Argentina.  Seeing as I am half Argentinian (specifically the lower half), I was particularly interested in what he had to show.  His collection was definitely different, with some of the looks being totally wearable and some not so much.  It is always hard to know when a non-cohesive collection is meant to be sort of all over the place, when the designer has emalgamated three collections into one (which I had to do for the fundraiser last month), or when it's simply that the designer hasn't quite figured out what their "voice" is.  Either way, there was a mix of boho-chic (as seen below), haute couture, clubwear and something that looked like it must be an homage to his home country. 



Micalla
Look up "luxurious" in the dictionary and one of these pieces should be under there.  The collection concluded the first night and easily stole the show.  Gorgeous models with cascading clusters of jewels and pearls, and perfectly red, sparkling lips.  WANT WANT WANT!




Panache
by Jana Hanzel and Emilia Torabi
I chose close-ups for this collection because I wanted to really show what parts of the looks I liked.  For the first two, I just was so overjoyed by the hats!  I like the military cut white jacket on the left as well.


The colour and the detail of the jacket on the left is adorable.  The grey tailored suit on the right is something I would wear to work.  The entire collection is geared to the working woman, so there were certainly some pieces I would have use for on the Hill.  The last look is head to toe great.  Loved the pink, the ruffle, and the big fur hat!




Rachel Sin
I liked this gold sparkling blazer.  I enjoy the entire look actually, with just the simple black bra and black pants, allowing the jacket to stand out.


Serendipity
I really wished that designer Kelsey McIntyre had only shown bridal because it's clearly her forte.  This dress was the showstopper, saved until the very end, and on its own without seeing the rest of the looks, is very promising.  Personally, I would have liked to have seen an entire bridal collection.



Adrian Wu
With much anticipation surrounding his newest collection, young designer Adrian Wu certainly got everyone's attention with his pieces he sent down the runway.  Showing skill and vision, his collection was not exactly Ready to Wear, but it did earn respect from fellow designers.  I enjoy a cohesive, well thought-out collection, regardless if I am going to be able to wear the pieces or not.  I know some people who came hoping for off-the-runway wearable clothes were potentially disappointed, but I think over the course of 3 days it was decidedly fresh and slapped everyone awake after mostly neutrals and mainstream looks.

Photos:  Ming Wu

Photo:  Ming Wu

Designer Adrian Wu
A few last points:

  1. I was going to do a Hits and Misses post, but I looked through all the photos, and I honestly feel like the majority of the collections were, whether I LIKED them or not, well-made, and seemed to have a target market of consumers that WOULD like the designs.  So, I'm going to leave it at that.  I also feel it's bad karma to tear apart other designer's work.  It's really hard and really brave to put yourself out there like they did this weekend, so kudos to each of them!
  2. I have to find out what the deal is with those damn shoes that so many of the designers used in their collections.  Are they donated?  If I were to show next season, do I have to use them?  I watched a few models almost go down AGAIN this season, and I have to ask...what is the need?  After the last model for Adib Simon almost broke both her ankles and was literally saved by the designer who had been holding her hand,  I finally asked my model friend during intermission if those shoes are actually as hard as they seem to be to walk in.  She went through a line-by-line explanation of the mechanics involved with a successful navigation of the runway using those shoes...and the simple answer is yes-they're really not easy to walk in.  All I know is, I'm avoiding them at all costs and will do everything short of spray the runway down with an adhesive to keep my girls from going down.
  3. A few of the designers from out of town were no-shows at the event.  I find that difficult to comprehend.  I can understand for smaller events that are mid-week having a business partner or a representative appear in your place.  However, for something like a Fashion Week, no matter where the location is, I am absolutely shocked and semi turned off about a designer that can't make it to the show.  It's a weekend, the Argentinian designer made it happen, and how can you possibly trust something that big to someone else to figure out?  It's nuts.  I am way too much of a control freak to be ok with that.
OK, I think that's huge enough.

xo Amber

6 comments:

  1. So glad you posted these! I wasnt able to go so its great to see some of the designs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. great recap hunny! thanks! xox

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love reading your insights. You know your stuff! x

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOw great post, read everything and loved your reviews! Fantastic! Totally thought the same thing about #2 as well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i was so impressed by eliz bourk's collection!

    great reviews, i totally agree with what you said about adib simon's collection

    ReplyDelete