Wednesday, March 2, 2011

What's in a name?

I'm at the stage in my fashion line business pursuit where I need to find a name for my label, and honestly my brain is burnt toast ("Doctor Penfield, I can smell burnt toast!").  It has gotten to a point where, after many hours spent googling, translating, thesauresing (NOT a real word), that I have come full circle and I might just have to use my own name after all, even though I really don't want to.  I know I mentioned in my very first post how difficult it is for me to come up with names/titles and this one is a doozie. 

This weekend I took Kate (young event organiser from Fashion for Funds) out shopping Saturday as a little "thank you/congrats" thing.  I still had my prize from being the fashion critic for Hot 89.9, which was $750 to Joshua Perets, which if you had never been inside, is really more suited for an, ahem, younger crowd.  I couldn't have taken a better shopping partner to spend that money, because if I had taken a friend anywhere around my own age, we would have had a REALLY difficult time finding anything.  I found some super plain tank tops and sweat pants for Sunday afternoons (and, I don't know, tobogganing? sick with a cold? gorged myself on cake?) and Kate was able to go wild in there which was really fun to watch!  Let's just say that if I wore a full-blown JP outfit anywhere in public I would feel just a little like Amy Poehler in Mean Girls:


"Hey, hey, hey. How are my best girlfriends?"
 Anyway, the shopping trip was really fun and I asked Kate if she had any ideas for a name for my label and she responded with a few good options.  I always find it's better to outsource these things, like with this blog title that was named with assistance from my friend Jenn.  As for the individual post titles, it's all me because there's not so much pressure and so I can come up with them easily enough and rarely change them or regret the ones I have used. 

I have been wondering how other fashion labels decided on their names.  Many opt to use the designer's own, which is all well and good but there are numerous fashion houses that clearly have not.  Some are great, like Rodarte and some are, um, not.  Nothing against them, but, for example, I can only associate the word "juicy" with well-endowed women...which may or may not be what they are referring to, I have no idea, but "couture" does not convince me that I should be buying from their line. 

Slowly but surely it's nearing the point where I seriously have to commit to this name, because everything else is moving along.  As a brief update, I have found someone who can do my pattern making here in Ottawa, so we shall see how that goes.  As well, I have another massive working weekend with Marie planned to go ahead this month, which we have conveniently coincided with Ottawa Fashion Week, set to commence on the 18th.  This way we can talk fashion, write fashion, then go watch some fashion and, hopefully, look somewhat fashion hahaha.  Couldn't be more excited!

xo Amber

2 comments:

  1. interesting! i was just reading about proenza schouler, and how the designers actually regret choosing that as their label's name (which is wild, b/c i like it - it has a 'z' in it). it's their mothers' maiden names put together.

    i wonder what your options are so far? are you going for something abstract? are you working on something that reflects the image of your clothes? the woman who would wear them? the ideal fashion world you're trying to attain?

    ReplyDelete
  2. hahaha JP is def aim for a younger crowd, and I would look like a playboy bunny in JP hoodie & matching sweatpants. But I do love pink and their logo, I have a bag from JP that I carry with me when I travel!

    ReplyDelete