Monday, February 7, 2011

Inspiration: Lisbeth Salander


For anyone who has read the Millenium Series by Stieg Larsson, I hope you are as obsessed with it as I am, because I just can't get enough.  I read them this past summer/fall and shortly after watched the first film, The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo.  I was really impressed with the Swedish-with-English-subtitles film, and overall thought the casting was really well done.  Noomi Rapace is perfect as the brooding Salander and does the role justice. I feel like if it had been done in the US, they would just butcher the characters with badly-casted actors.  I can just imagine Jessica Alba as Lisbeth Salander or something equally horrendous.   I just recently watched the second film, The Girl Who Played With Fire, and again I was so into it!  I think part of it is that Salander's character could not be more opposite of mine.  Aside from some intense mood swings, we have absolutely nothing else in common. 
  • Lisbeth is a competent hacker who breaks into complicated computer networks without authorization.  I am technologically impotent. 
  • She has a photographic memory.  I remember faces, but often have embarrassing moments where I can't "place" how I know the person, and just forget about me remembering their name.  I can, if I have served them only once in the past, quite often remember what they like to drink though.  It's effed, and outside of a bar scene situation, totally useless.
  • Salander is skillful at concealing her identity, possessing passports in different names and physical disguises that she uses to travel undetected around Sweden and worldwide.  Um, that's sort of difficult to compare.  I have never needed to disguise myself for any reason.  I'd like to think I would be ok at it...then again, I break into a sweat when I'm quizzed  by the border officers going through customs, so probably not. 
  • Due to her traumatic childhood, Lisbeth is highly introverted, anti-social, and has difficulty connecting to people and making friends.  I have been accused of having too many friends, and in fact have been told by someone "the last thing you need is another friend".  That person is crazy.
In honour of Lisbeth, I have dedicated a post to fashion influenced by her style.  I would probably never wear all of this together, but separately, absolutely!

Balmain leather jacket



Dr. Marten's Women's Phina Boot


Want Les Essentiels De La Vie Computer Bag

I feel like I might actually be good with computers if I had this bag....and a new, sleek lap top to go in it. 


Leather epaulettes by Logan Neitzel


Leather aviation cap by Logan Neitzel


So, who's ready to hack into some super cool, tricky network?  I'll just go grab my hand-me-down lap top without wireless internet and a battery that dies in ten minutes if it's not plugged in.  Ready?  "Amber, are you just Googling how to hack into a computer network?"  "No!  K, yes."

xo Amber

4 comments:

  1. Ha! This is your finest blog post ever. So funny. I'm actually quite skilled at picking locks, scaling walls and I have been known to pi the odd kitchen sink, so if you ever need a partner in crime...you know who to call. Oh and I would definitely sport that leather aviator hat-thing. x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, thanks! I am not kidding about the tech stuff though...If I was actually going to attempt to sneak into some network I would probably throw on the Hackers soundtrack extra loud, put my font setting on Wingdings and hope for the best.

    ReplyDelete
  3. but they ARE going to do a hollywood version, wah wah. On a more awesome note: those epaulettes :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I actually haven't seen the dragon tattoo or the fire one yet. I'm soo behind on movies! but yes I would wear all of those items on seperate occasions, I love that leather jacket!

    ReplyDelete