Thursday, February 3, 2011

Love Lockdown

Happy February everyone!  It's snowy, but hey-at least it's short!  I'll likely be hitting up some Winterlude activities this weekend, joining the packs of skaters on the canal and standing in a 30 minute lineup for ho-cho and a beaver tail.  Mmmm, get in my bel-ly!

Oh yeah, and mid-month is EVERYONE's fave non-holiday!  St. Valentine's Day....statistically one of the most dreaded (and lucrative) days of the year.  And yet...I HEART IT!  I do, I really do!  As far back as I can remember, I loved the red and pink and white and all the Valentine cards and all the heart shaped candies.  As I got older, I loved going to the Valentine's Day dances at my high school and hoping for that boy to ask me to go, and still not even caring so much when he didn't (and believe me, he NEVER did) because then I could just spend the night with my girlfriends.  My best friends and I would send each other at least 10 Cupid-grams each, filled with inside jokes and just burst out laughing in the middle of our respective first periods when they were delivered, and then tell each other all about our reactions when we saw each other next (because we didn't have cell phones yet and so we actually had to SEE EACH OTHER to tell the latest news rather than instantly sending a text...oh how did we ever survive?).  It was always so fun!  I had this great shirt that I wore all the time, but that I especially liked to wear on Valentine's Day because it had all these little multicoloured hearts printed all over it.  I can't even remember what happened to that shirt...what a shame, since I would still wear it now. 

I think what I always liked about Valentine's Day was that while I was growing up, it wasn't about being in a couple-not at all.  Obviously in elementary school it wasn't, but honestly even through high school I still didn't feel like I was left out because I was single.  Eventually, when I finally did lock down a boyfriend, I failed to really subscribe to the idea that he was going to make the day all that more magical...it already was!  I still brought Valentines for all of my friends (not the whole class like in grade 3, since that would have been insanely difficult), and dressed up in the colours and just totally loved the entire day! 

Now, as an adult, after a few more relationships, I still really look forward to celebrating the day of Love.  I send my girls messages and give out cards, and wear red or pink (yes, right down to my underwear), and enjoy planning a nice evening.  This year my bf and I are going to see The Importance of Being Earnest, a play by Oscar Wilde, performed at The Gladstone Theatre.  I've been meaning to go and see a show there for a long time now, and this seemed like the perfect opportunity to fulfill my wish! 

I miiiiight have made a big deal about Valentine's Day the first year my present bf and I were together (I won't go into detail on the scene), but in subsequent years I have realised that I had it right all along when I was growing up...it's not about the dinner and the flowers and the presents...it's honestly about making an effort to spend time with and to tell the people you care about how much you love them.  Oh, and having an excuse to buy more lingerie.  Wink wink.

Speaking of which...enjoy these cute numbers:





For your footsies:




Don't worry, I'll be wishing everyone a Happy Valentine's Day on the 14th as well, but I figured I could help get everyone in the mood ;)

Love Always,

xo Amber


No comments:

Post a Comment