Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Holiday Hiatus

Wow, I'm a slacker!  I didn't even realise how long it had been since my  last post until a friend emailed me last week and told me to step it up.  The honest truth is that I was away from my computer from the 21st-5th.  After that, I have no excuses.

So Happy New Year!  Hope your holiday was wonderful, whether you stayed at home or embarked on any sort of journey.  I was fortunate to be able to go on my first ever all-inclusive vacation to Cancun, Mexico and was there for New Years Eve.  All I can say is WOW, what a week.  I can also say RIP Olympus camera, who fell victim to the warm salty waters of the Caribbean Sea.  Jet ski + Amber = (-)camera.  I don't really want to discuss the thought process that was involved with the decision to bring the camera along.  My bf took some pictures too though, and I'm waiting for him, impatiently, to send them so I can share my Mexican vacation lookbook!  In the meantime I will post about something else.

With any ringing in of a new year comes the obvious questions of resolutions.  In the past I haven't really put too much emphasis on pledging my personal goals, however this year I think I will make an exception and see whether it may assist as a motivational factor for achieving success.  The following are some personal new year's resolutions that I will attempt to cross off my list of goals over the course of this year.  I'm abstaining from the obvious "get fit, eat healthy" ones that, in my opinion, are overdone and contribute to my hatred of the gym and yoga studio in January.  So, here goes:

AMBER'S 2011 NEW YEAR'S RESOLUTIONS

1- Complete my business proposal and begin manufacturing process.

2- Participate in one or more Fashion Week (Ottawa, etc.)

3-Design at least 4 new lines in advance.

4-Stop spending money on unnecessary items that CANNOT FIT IN MY CLOSET.  To expand, I am going to limit my purchases to one clothing item PER MONTH, unless it can be somehow proven I legitimately need the additional item(s), ie. it is replacing an item that is beyond wearable.  As for footwear, I need to be even more realistic and limit myself to one pair of footwear every 4 months.  This is going to be a challenge for me.  What I am forcing myself to do is peel back the layers of clothing in my drawers and reacquaint myself with my "old stuff".  If it's still in my closet, it should be worn.  The situation is out of control and has even had me looking for a bigger apartment to somehow fit my ever expanding wardrobe...this is admittedly messed up.  Writing this for people to read makes it real and I need to address this issue now.  I know I will cheat some months, but at least I have begun the conscious effort to reduce the problem.  Breathe in.  Breathe out.

5-Communicate better with friends.  I'm not bad, but I used to be SO much better.  I want to get back to emailing more and keeping up with their news as well.  Starting NOW.

6-Take a fashion course.  I'm looking at courses in London, England right now...which happens to be where an old friend of mine lives...so there you go, I'm also checking off 5 while I'm at it!

7-Plan a trip...hello #5 and 6!

8-Learn to cook/bake better.  Or, realistically, just learn to cook and bake period.  Chopping vegetables and tossing them together is not cooking.  Making toast is not cooking.  Hell, making a pie is easier than making a dress, and yet here I am able to do only the latter.

9-Spend more time with my Oma.  We went for lunch over the holiday and she is just so amazing.  I want to learn more from her and be able to tell her stories to my children and grandchildren.

10-Appreciate the moment.  I worry too much about the future.  I hope this year will be the start of a shift in my focus...it's not easy but it's worth it.

That's it!  Just a short list of 10, hahahaha.  Better get started so ta-ta for now! 

xo Amber

2 comments:

  1. awesome list of resolutions! i'm a particularly big fan of #10, and laughed at #4. I don't think i realised that you had *that much* of a problem, you know... but yeah, they say that admitting you have a problem is the first step to recovery, right? All power to you. If you ever need someone to talk you through leaving something cool on the rack, you know my number.

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy NY! I should add #9 to my list too. 2011 is the year of the grandma!

    x

    ReplyDelete