Tuesday, November 23, 2010

American Music Awards: The Hit List

For those who missed my fashion critic report on the New Hot 89.9, do not fret.  The following are the notes I made in preparation for my conversation with DJ Ryan Lindsay, detailing my opinion on the fashion hits and misses on the red carpet and in the performances of Sunday's AMAs broadcast.  I wasn't able to say everything that is outlined below on the air, so this is the long version!


BEST
Taylor Swift: 
TAYLOR SWIFT photo | Taylor SwiftTaylor wore a gorgeous dress on the red carpet.  It was a bejeweled, fitted mini and honestly I want it for NYE!  She wore her hair pin straight with new bangs, looking sleek and mature. T Swift looked just as great during her performance, opting for a classic head to toe black ensemble with a fitted blazer and leg-lengthening slim fit pants and heels.  Not a fan of her music, but I have to say that she appears to be very down-to-earth and poised and happens to be one of the only good role models for younger girls these days.

Katy Perry: 
On  the red carpet, Katy wore an embellished light pink floral strapless dress with blush coloured patent leather pumps and her hair and skin were absolutely radiating.  She kept the shine up during her performance (but more like a human Christmas ornament) in an cherry red glittery sheath which she eventually tore off to reveal a tight red bodysuit.  Digressing from the style topic, I was disappointed she didn't sing Teenage Dream on Sunday and went with her other single, Firework, which I am not really that into. 

ALMOST
Kelly Osborne: 
Neck-down, Kelly looked perfectly put together in a black lace dress that accentuated her newer, slimmer waistline which she paired well with classic open toed pumps.  From the neck up, however, her hairstylist did her absolutely no favours with the humungous soccer mom hair they gave her.  SO CLOSE Kelly!

WORST
Miley Cyrus: 
On carpet Miley wore a white strapless bandeau dress with a long, thin train coming out the back that looked like she had accidentally caught toilet paper in her underwear and had a long, double roll Cottonnelle strand trailing out behind her down the carpet.  During her performance Miley wore a sheer gothic dressing gown straight out of the Addams Family.  She told a reporter on the red carpet that her performance that night was inspired by the Beatles.  Between that and Justin Beiber thanking MJ during his acceptance speech, it was all in all a sad day for music history.

Ke$ha: 
Something about Ke$ha just bothers me...she's not as edgy as she thinks she is and I always want to take her down a peg, which is one of the many perks of being able to slam her on air!  She wore a long black maxi dress with a slit up her left leg and what looked like VHS film tape that she probably tore out of her Disney movie collection and stuck on her dress earlier that night as some sort of "message".  Don’t get me started with the hair and makeup...she reportedly did it herself and it showed.  I know she’s doing it on purpose (and trying REALLY hard), but there’s just something about her that I find really fake.  She just can’t pull off a Gaga, I’m sorry.  I did, however, mostly enjoy the performance she put on (minus the music).  She had a helmet with spotlights for eyes and her male back up dancers all wore platinum mullet wigs and heels…very Wall-E meets Rocky Horror.  So whoever styled that performance gets huge props!  (Note how I am incapable of giving her any credit.)

Rhianna:
I was really disappointed with Rhianna's style on Sunday.  Normally I can enjoy what she's wearing, but this time not so much.  She has dyed her hair a darker maroon colour from her fire engine red and on the red carpet she opted for a matching maroon sheer lace maxi dress.  I just wasn’t a fan at all of the over-zealous monochromatic look and the dress felt oddly old fashioned even though it was technically pretty revealing.  On stage she looked even worse with her badly styled skimpy ensemble.  It’s hard to describe really…it looked more like something a child would wear when playing dress-up and less like a celebrity who knows better than to wear underwear with a scarf tied around it and two scrunchies as arm bands.  She really honestly wore more skin than clothing and she's better than that.

PREGGERS AWARDS:
Pink:
Pink looked overall horrendous, not that I'm shocked. Her red carpet outfit was boring black but then her stage outfit involved bloomers and a sporty cropped jacket with a Tupac Shakur bandanna.  There is just no excuse for looking heinous, including being knocked up.  MIA performed on stage while 8.5 months pregnant and managed to look adorable.

XTina:
We of course don't know officially that Christina is actually pregnant...there have only been some rumours.  I'm just trying to do her some favours here because the only way she gained that much weight since filming Burlesque is if she has spent the last few months only eating KFC Double downs.  Either that or the studio hired the same graphic artists that worked on Avatar to create a digital version of Xtina called Christina Aguitar to do the entire movie, because the trailer has her looking very slim.  I suppose she is going through a divorce right now, so maybe it’s depression eating but considering she’s overdue for a scandal these days I’d like to think the reason for said divorce is due to an illicit affair resulting in a love child whose father is none other than Cher himself.  Beat that, Star Magazine.
** note: I am not calling her fat.  If this was her natural body type, I would not have mentioned this at all...however we all know she is normally a toothpick with boobs, so this represents a pretty significant weight fluctuation since losing the baby weight a while ago.

BEST COMEBACK:
NKOTBSB:
All the Kids and Boys looked great and wore age-appropriate ensembles on the red carpet and for their medley performance.  Did anyone else notice that Kevin from BSB was missing?  Not that he was the most vital to the group, but if Jonathon Knight can come out and perform with an ANXIETY disorder, then K-Rich can suck it up too.  Personally, every time they showed Jordan Knight I giggled like a pre-teen and grabbed my toes...it's sad but true.  The guys had the whole crowd going for their finale and I even spotted Ke$ha smiling broadly and mouthing the words to the songs.  Ah, the magic of boy bands.

Thus concludes my report as Hot 89.9's 2010 Fashion Critic!  I hope that those of you who were able to tune in last night enjoyed it and those of you who missed it, this is the extended version.  I am going to see about getting a copy of the recording somehow.  I'm also crossing my fingers that I get a call again for future red carpet events because that was SO much fun!

xo Amber

3 comments:

  1. Ha ha! So great, I love your description of Miley Cyrus' dress. I'm going to have to look up some pics of all of them to really get my head around what these women were wearing. I hope you get called again too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. after looking at the dresses in detail, i am surprised at how clearly one can see Rhianna's underwear through the lace dress. Clearly nude undies are a good choice, but they're sort of bunchy and cottony - wouldnt' seamless silk have been the better answer? Vera Wang makes a great pair. Ditto this comment for Heidi Klum, who I notice opted for the nude thong...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, I had Heidi Klum on there but decided to stick to musical artists only...but I find her to be the worst dressed model of life.

    ReplyDelete