Monday, November 8, 2010

Not so Fancy.

Today is pretty awesome for a Monday.  My boss is tucked neatly away in Toronto and I'm wearing my new flannel shirt I bought for $19.99 at Loblaws yesterday.  I love Joe Fresh.  How unbelievably smart to put clothing in a grocery store.  I mean it sounds absolutely ludicrous.  Yet, if you're like me and can't stand grocery shopping, what better way to break up the produce selection from the dairy aisle than some affordable yet awesome clothes?  If you didn't already know, Joe Fresh shows their line at LG Fashion Week every year.  If I were involved in the planning I would have the models pushing carts full of canned food and toilet paper down the runway...just to remind people of their roots.  I would put "Joe Fresh - rubber boots" between "eggs" and "milk" on a grocery list and project the image on the back wall or something.  I'd take that theme and go to the extreme...because that's just what I love to do.

Speaking of themes, check out my Farrah Fawcett-inspired outfit I wore Saturday night for my bf's parents' 50th birthday party.  They did a 70s theme, complete with music from the decade, a couple disco balls and some seriously fantastic costumes.  It was like being able to celebrate Halloween AGAIN!  Yay!
Fur vest-thrifted; jeans-UB; shoes-Steve Madden at Winners; sunglasses-Ray Ban
This weekend was the Wine and Food Show-arguably the biggest social event in Ottawa, with people you haven't seen all year coming out of the woodworks to rub elbows with everyone else in the city.  Some came from out of town to attend...one person I know literally travelled across the country!  It really is a good time and even though I went on Friday and not Saturday, which is the bigger day to go (the lineup was 2 hours to get in that day-INSANE!), I still ran into a ton of people I know and haven't seen in a while.  Oh, and I fell.  Yeah.  I was texting and going down stairs.  It's like texting and driving...just DON'T do it, no matter how much you feel you have practiced...it's only a matter of time until you are on your knees in front of the greeters.  The woman actually had the audacity to say "Welcome to the Ottawa Wine and Food Show", as my equally embarrassed bf scooped me off the cement landing and dragged me into the room.  Come on, are you a machine?  Didn't you just see me crumple into a heap like 20 seconds ago?  Spare me the greeting, thank you.  I didn't look behind me because I didn't want to see who was there, watching the whole show.  I hoped that if they didn't see my face, they wouldn't recognise me.  Which is impossible because I was wearing the world's hugest bun in my hair and stockings with a lace decal down the back of them...nobody else had those on.  Worst part of the fall is definitely my torn stockings.  They were brand new out of the package and were REALLY nice and quite frankly not that cheap...effing Fancy Socks!  Arg.  Just goes to show you...Fancy Socks do not guarantee fancy feet.  Despite my tumble, the rest of the night was great.  We met up with a couple of my girlfriends and made our way slowly around the room, trying different things including some expensive and very tasty tequila, getting a nice buzz and forgetting about the throbbing in my knees. 

OK, using the fall as a segway into the next topic, have any of you seen the Reitmans commercials with the Haute Couture vs. some marmy getup that is supposed to be "functional fashion" or whatever?  Those commercials KILL ME.  I saw a new one yesterday involving what to wear to go ice skating and actually laughed so hard I drooled uncontrollably.  Anyways, here's a link to a video featuring 6 of their commercials one after the other: 
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UaAn4BgY5iI&feature=related.

Is it bad that I would wear the haute couture option in every clip before I'd wear a pair of their Comfort Capris? 
xo Amber

PS I just had a lighbulb moment and had to add this:  OMG, I AM a Reitmans commercial!  "What to wear to a Wine and Food Show".  The girl after me was probably wearing sensible shoes and efforlessly navigated the stairs.

3 comments:

  1. I'm so sad I missed the Food and Wine show! and the Chateau Vintage sale! ..Sigh... obligations. (And I chuckle at the Reitmans commercials too, great concept, if only their clothes weren't so fugly. Just sayin'.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. your outfit for Ty's parent's party is *amazing*. who knew a vintage fur vest could be so darn versatile!

    ReplyDelete
  3. addendum: i would rather die than wear the outfits from reitmans in their commercials. in fact, i would rather wear head to toe candy pink and have a dog mistake my hat for a frisbee (which cracked me up completely).

    ReplyDelete