Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Lanvin pour H&M: Totally not news

I know I appear to live in the world's largest hole posting this entry on the Lanvin-H&M collaboration now, however it is actually this blog that is late and not the news.  I read about it a while ago now and had immediately texted my bff who lives in TO (ie has convenient access to H&M stores).  She asked if I was planning on making a trip to one of the stores on the day they open the doors for the collection...and my first reaction was yes, of course.  Upon second thought (and remembering the mayhem that ensued following the collaboration with Cavalli), I am not completely sure what I will do because I am not confident in my ability to wrestle dresses out of other people's hands.  It actually makes me sick to shop at an H&M store on an average Saturday....so what to do?  Wait for the chaos to die down?  Likely nothing will be left, honestly.  Wait for ebay buyers to post?  Slightly more likely, however I currently have a bad taste in my mouth left over from my last ebay purchase almost 2 months ago with STILL no item in my mailbox (sender has promised it will be here this week...something to do with Can-US border UGH).  Don't think I can wait that long this time!  I checked out the collection online and I mentally saw my TD account stepping on a mine.  It's not just the dresses (which are beautiful and I believe I counted at least 6 that I want) it's the SHOES!  OMG!  These are just one of the several gorgeous designs they have created:









These puppies are going to go like champagne at a Fashion Week wrap-up party.








To incite even more unecessary buzz, which at this point is totally redundant, they have created a fashion video featuring the lovely frocks, etc and which includes a cameo by Alber Elbaz himself.  Check it out here:  http://www.hm.com/ca_fr/#/designer/.  A few notes, if I may:

1-Completely agree...I also prefer clothing to flowers.  Diamonds?  Yikes, that's a toughie.  I don't even have any yet.  Best to not turn them down.

2-Enjoyed the encounter(s) between identical dresses.  Must happen all the time in cities that have H&Ms, so at least they are owning it.  Especially love the one of the two women in the bedroom after the one gets caught with the other's man.  HA!  Amazing.

3-Hope when I'm old and gray I look as fabulous as that woman does...she might rock that yellow dress better than the young chick!

Ok, but this is what I don't get...Elbaz has mentioned himself how incredibly pleased he was with how this collection turned out and how true to his vision it was.  So here's my question:  If less expensive collections can be made to a high-end designer's taste, why is it necessary to have such expensive prices to begin with?  I know the fabric quality is much better, the detailing probably couture, etc.  However, if the majority of people in the world are not wealthy, then the majority can't buy it.  Now, I could probably afford one expensive item a year.  At that rate, i suppose the cost per wear ratio would totally validate the amount I paid, but like most girls I'm not really into wearing the same dress every time I go out.  I can remember what I wore out with certain people a year after the date...it's the only area of my life where I seem to have powers akin to photographic memory and I cannot bring myself to wear the item with the same people if I haven't seen them since the last time I wore it. You can see how I have had no choice but to be a thrifty shopper...my sanity is in jeopardy every time I have to plan a new outfit.

So...what to wear this weekend for the Wine and Food Show?  Just kidding, I already decided 3 weeks ago. 

xo Amber

1 comment:

  1. awesome! and if it makes you feel better about the lateness of this post, i did not know that lanvin was cooperating with h&m. (i didn't know cavalli did either - that's how up on my h&m i am, scoff!)

    ReplyDelete