Monday, November 15, 2010

Baby, it's cold outside...

The temperatures are dropping and with snow on Halloween, the prognosis is a long, grim winter.  I personally enjoy the cold and the snow until about January 15th and then I'm done...and there's another minimum of 2 months left before we can start taking off the layers again.

So, in the spirit of remaining sane and even excited for the snowy season, because we live in the great white North and there's not a single thing we can do to avoid it, I've compiled a list of things that make me excited for this winter season:

1-Boots.  I have 5 pairs.  Just bought the 5th this past weekend.  In no particular order, they are: my well-worn riding boots, my black and red checked Sorels, my black laceups I got last year in the guys' section of Winners...I call them my sh*tkickers because they make me feel badass, my brown leather wedge heeled pair, which I bought it in the most memorable moment of retailtherapy, and finally the ones I just bought...which are a perfect mix of 70s shearling and ghetto-fabulousness.   Will get a photo soon when I find the perfect outfit to wear with them.

2-My russian fur hat I bought last year at Young Janes on Dalhousie...LOVE that store.  Can't go in without buying something.  You NEED to go!



3-Ice skating on the canal...followed by hot chocolate.  Mmmmmmm.

4-Layers.  I love piling on the tanks and knitted sweaters and scarves, mixing textures.  It's really what Canadians do best and I think we have made it fashionable.

5-Victoria's Secret Fashion Show.  The ultimate love/hate relationship every girl has with that show just adds to its attraction.  Why do I want to look at half naked women who have been in hair and makeup for 24 hours and work out FOR A LIVING?  Because I have other girlfriends to watch it with...we make egg nog and rum drinks and yell at Heidi Klum for having another perfect baby and then yell about how long all the damn legs are and then point out how high their heels are and the wonders of self-tanner at creating abs and the magic of hair weaves for making the girls' long locks look so great and then feel better about ourselves, because all things considered we look pretty damn good for working a normal job, getting to the gym only fairly regularly and not travelling with our own personal lighting team.  Cheers!

6-Cancun.  OK, I'm cheating a bit and going South for a week over NYE.  I know.  I'm a big, fat cheater.  I figure I can get it out of my system and be ready to get back in the snowsuit!  Right?  That's how it works, yes?

7-Party dresses.  So many parties for the holidays!  Who doesn't love a ruffly, feminine party dress?  WHO?  Oh, and I guess that goes with the holidays in general.

8-My best friend's baby.  She's super duper pregnant right now and the baby is due mid-December.  I tear up every time just thinking about how amazing it will be when the little boy or girl is finally here  Just saw her this past weekend when my other bff and I joined forces to throw a baby shower!  Oh how time has flown :)

9-Seasonal cafe beverages.  Dessert in a cup.  Conveniently portable and equally convenient to forget the calories contained in such a pretty, cozy, liquid package.  Goes well with #1 through 5, and not so well with #6.

10-Giving.  Thought I'd end this one with a warm-hearted and selfless point.  I love giving presents!  I love making presents!  Between Christmas, birthdays and Valentine's there is just so much opportunity for giving.  This year brings even MORE giving with #8 on the way!  Nothing better than watching a person open a gift that you put time and thought and love into choosing or making and seeing them love it as much as you hoped!

Hope this post can remind us of the things that keep us warm until the snow melts away.  Then again, talk to me in the dead of January...I may be singing a different tune.  Or boot shopping.

xo Amber

2 comments:

  1. What an EXCELLENT list! I'm already in perma-winter-and-Christmas-excitement mode, and this list just makes me even more stoked for dark snowy nights and wooly socks. It's great that H. is due soon (the real question: will the baby be a Capricorn or a Sagittarius... dun dun DUN!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. fab list Amber! And lovee your raccoon hat! The canal is fun to skate on. I followed youuu hehe

    ReplyDelete