Monday, November 1, 2010

Tales from the crypt

I woke up feeling like the undead...honestly this weekend cranked me out in shreds like a meat processor…but in a good way? No but seriously, I had an amazing three days. Ottawa Fashion Week was like chocolate fondue-I just wanted to have it all to myself in the corner of a fancy party. Friday night I met up with my girlfriend Erica for a martini at Social and then we headed to the gallery to take in all the shows. A few of our other girlfriends met us there and we took over a table with glasses of white wine and attacked the poor servers handing out hors d’oeuvres like a (classy and stylish) bunch of vultures. I made it a point to only wear what I already had in my wardrobe because I have a horrible tendency to psych myself out and, in a blind panic, run around the mall armed with my credit card and a total disregard for my current bank account balance…which at this moment is extremely pathetic. However, in my defense I did just book a trip on my Visa and spent a LOT of money on stuff for the Art of Fashion competition at the beginning of the month. I didn’t get a photo of what I ended up wearing, but it was a blush coloured vintage bustier and a floral skirt with nude heels and my favourite vintage pearl clutch that can’t fit anything but I love it regardless. I kind of felt like I was showing too much skin for Fashion Week, and regretted not finding tights, but as previously mentioned in my last entry, trying to figure out what you are going to wear at 7:30am for something literally 12 hours later that day is nearly impossible to pull off with 100% accuracy.

Moving on to the shows, I was personally really into the menswear line, Trive by Modasuite. I think because I design exclusively for women, and have yet to master the art of designing unique yet wearable apparel for men, I really appreciate designers who do. I wanted to buy the clothing for men that I know…that’s how much I liked it. Which is rare, because usually I’m selfish and only think about myself and whether I would wear it or not.  GoldenFish Swimwear ended the night with a Brazilian jungle feel to the show, from the accessories to the music. Models walked down the runway looking like gorgeous Amazon women with textured updos ending in long braids trailing down their backs. If you know me, you KNOW I love a good theme and I’m totally in love with swimwear, so there’s my biased perspective of the day.

****Side note: Can I say how BRAVE models have to be? This isn’t the first time I’ve thought this, but never was it more apparent to me than at Friday night’s shows. Aside from strutting in front of hundreds of people, dozens of photos taken of them at all angles, sometimes with VERY little clothing on, these young men and women have to look COMFORTABLE doing it. Which brings me to my rant: A few female models, some whom I know and have modeled for me, had some close calls out on the runway in their insanely high heels. I’m not clear on whether it was the height or the fit, but those things were the very definition of killer shoes. As a designer, and an amateur one at that, I realize that maybe I’m not one to start criticizing other designers on this topic, but I’m going to anyway. I personally do not see how it is ok to ask 16 year old girls to go out there in front of everyone wearing shoes that can't be comfortable and are quite possibly going to break their ankles. I know that happens for models everywhere around the world, but puh-lease give me a break here…this is not NYC and you are not Dolce NOR Gabbana and these girls are NOT getting paid!   Why should they also be expected to risk injury and humiliation for the sake of a couple extra inches of height?  For the number of girls who were able to get up and down the runway, a large portion of them still looked so petrified that again I felt myself getting distracted and honestly really stressed for them. Frankly, I wouldn't want people to remember my line by the girls teetering around or worse-going down on stage rather than by the designs themselves. To all the models in those insane heels who managed to make them look effortless, kudos. I couldn’t do it.

Saturday I celebrated Halloween…I have to say, my costume SERIOUSLY came through in the clutch. I was so unlike myself and was really poorly planned for this year. Originally, I was making mermaid/merman costumes for myself and my bf but I just really let it slide. So I made do with what I had “lying around”…ie “what can I do with a fur vest?” So, I went as a she-wolf. I could not have been happier with the outcome…although again, with better planning I could have done well with a pair of canines.

Sunday, I honestly felt like the only thing I could do that day was sit around in my own filth and eat Halloween candy, but I really wanted to make it to the last OFW show since I had to miss it on Saturday night. So, I cleaned myself up (maaaaybe ate a Denny's Grand Slam), even managing to make my outfit Halloween-themed and made it to the gallery only partially late. As for the shows, I absolutely loved the Adrian Wu collection. I really thought that despite him not headlining the evening, he was able to create a mood with the video intro and the dimmed lighting (I know the photographers were not happy with that last aspect, but it really did set a tone). His collection was at once high fashion AND wearable, which is not easy and I loved his choice in fabrics and silhouettes. At the end, Wu came out wearing the most fabulous pair of shoes that I immediately if not sooner wanted on my feet and if the designer can sell what he’s wearing just as well as the models, that is seriously talent (must make note).

Thus ends my Massive Monday entry (yessss, alliteration – now have excellent Monday theme title….must think of more for other week days.) I survived the weekend…bring on the next!


xo Amber

No comments:

Post a Comment